AANM COVID-19 Update
AANM COVID-19 Update
We hope everyone is healthy and safe during this time of crisis. The Apartment Association of New Mexico has been closely monitoring the federal, state, and local policy changes and executive orders every day. We have put together a collection of websites, videos, and documents we hope you find useful during this time.
Update 5/15/2020 - State of New Mexico - Governor's Guideline to COVID-Safe Practices for Individuals and Employers
Update 5/13/2020 - CDC guidance on cleaning and disinfecting during reopening
Added 5/8/20 - Recommendations from Department of Workforce Solutions returning to work:
Recommendations from NAA to returning to work:
Added 5/1/20 - Here are the reopening phases from the governor’s Economic Recover Council.
Added 4/21/20 - Health & Economic Issues from COVID-19 in New Mexico (New Mexico Legislative Finance Committe Staff White Paper - April 20, 2020)
Added 4/14/20 - NMDOH COVID-19 Public Dashboard
Added 4/9/20 - New City of Albuquerque website:
For the order released by the NM Supreme Court regarding evictions:
For Guidelines Released by the Federal Housing Authority:
For information and updates from the State of New Mexico:
For information and updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
Best practices by the National Apartment Association:
The National Apartment Association has put together these short webinars for members:
- There's No Moratorium on Fair Housing Compliance: Managing Maintenance, Contractors and the Physical Plant - This session will examine best practices for the cleaning and maintenance of common areas and amenities. Thursday, April 23 at 11 a.m. EDT
- Guidelines for COVID-19 Cleaning - This session will review the cleaning guidelines for COVID-19. We will explore the three different levels of protection and define what each level means. Friday, April 24 at 11 a.m. EDT
- There's No Moratorium on Fair Housing Compliance: Employee, Resident and Prospect Safety in the New World - This session will examine best practices for compliance with government directives as well as effectively managing human encounters including touring and performing in-home maintenance. Thursday, April 30 at 11 a.m. EDT
- How "Reopening the Economy" Impacts Multifamily Management - Stage 1 - Part 2 of 4: NAA examines the effects of reopening the economy on the rental housing industry. Presented by Rich George, NOI Coach, and Doug Chasick, The Apartment Doctor. Length: 19 minutes. Released April 28, 2020.
- How "Reopening the Economy" Impacts Multifamily Management - Overview - Part 1 of 4: NAA examines the effects of reopening the economy on the rental housing industry. Presented by Rich George, NOI Coach, and Doug Chasick, The Apartment Doctor. Length: 13 minutes. Released April 27, 2020.
- Self-Service Tours: Creating a High-Touch Experience in a No-Contact World - NAA takes a look at self-service tours and how to create a great experience in a no-contact world. Presented by Kristi Fickert, Senior Vice President of Engagement and Growth for 30 Lines. Length: 12 minutes. Released April 24, 2020.
- Preparing for the Next "New" Normal - NAA examines maintenance considerations as apartment communities contend with the effects of COVID-19, as well as planning ahead for future maintenance concerns. Length: 16 minutes. Released April 23, 2020.
- VAWA Reminders During COVID-19 - NAA reviews considerations for continued compliance with the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). Presented by Ellen Clark, Sr. Director of Content for Grace Hill. Length: 19 minutes. Released April 21, 2020.
- Reputation Management During COVID-19 - NAA evaluates reputation management considerations stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic. Presented by Mindy Price, NAAEI Faculty and Vice President of Sales for J Turner Research. Length: 19 minutes. Released April 20, 2020.
- COVID-19 Effect on Rent Collection - Examining the ways in which the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting the collection of rent. Presented by Mindy Price, NAAEI Faculty and Vice President of Sales for J Turner Research. Length: 8 minutes. Released April 17, 2020.
- Vacant Apartment Maintenance During COVID-19 - NAA offers an overview of the best practices for vacant apartment maintenance during COVID-19. Presented by Paul Rhodes, NAAEI National Safety & Maintenance Instructor. Length: 10 minutes. Released April 15, 2020.
- Disruption: Social-Distancing Edition - Examining the ways in which the COVID-19 is disrupting the world of property management. Presented by Megan Orser, Game Changer & CEO, Smart Apartment Solutions and Smart Move Management. Length: 22 minutes. Released April 14, 2020.
- Exploring the Updated NAA Coronavirus Guidance Page - Touring NAA resources and guidance dedicated to the COVID-19 pandemic. Presented by Stephanie Anderson, Manager of Industry Operations. Length: 9 minutes. Released April 13, 2020.
- Maintenance During COVID-19: Protecting Residents and Ourselves - NAA examines how to keep residents and technicians alike safe while attending to maintenance and service requests during the COVID-19 outbreak. Presented by Paul Rhodes, NAAEI National Maintenance and Safety Instructor. Length: 10 minutes. Released April 7, 2020.
- Virtual Leasing: Providing Excellent Service - NAA offers guidance for best practices concerning virtual leasing. Presented by Christi Wedel, Training Manager for PRESIDIUM. Length: 13 minutes. Released April 6, 2020.
- Being Heard Above the Noise: Continuous Communication With Employees - NAA looks at how constant employee contact is critical during COVID-19. Presented by Mary Gywn, Chief Innovator, Apartment Dynamics. Released April 6, 2020.
- Virtual Leasing: Providing Excellent Service - NAA offers guidance for best practices concerning virtual leasing. Presented by Christi Wedel, Training Manager for PRESIDIUM. Released April 6, 2020.
- Amenity Awareness - NAA takes a look at a host of considerations for how to address amenities in the face of COVID-19. Presented by Paul Rhodes, NAAEI National Maintenance and Safety Instructor. Released April 2, 2020.
- Maintaining Healthy Relationships During Stressful Times - An in-depth presentation of how to keep relationships healthy amid the stresses of COVID-19. Presented by Rommel Anacan, President of The Relationship Difference. Released April 1, 2020.
- Best Practices For Property Managers: Rent Collection, Late Fees, Filings, Payment Plans - NAA provides guidance on a host of pressing issues concerning rent collection in the face of COVID-19. Guidance is presented by William P. Cannon III, Principal, Offit Kurman Attorneys at Law. Released 3/31/2020
- New COVID-19 Federal Laws - NAA offers an examination of new federal legislation aimed at addressing the spread of COVID-19. Guidance is presented by Greg Brown, NAA Senior Vice President of Government Affairs. Released 3/30/2020
- The Importance of Continued Training - A closer examination of why continuing training is important during COVID-19. Guidance is presented by Joy Zalaznick, Director of Training and Development for Kettler. Released 3/30/2020.
- Shelter in Place: Restrictions on Business Operations - NAA offers guidance related to shelter-in-place orders and what they mean for business operations. Guidance is presented by Nicole Upano, NAA Director of Public Policy. Released 3/26/2020
- Guidance for Suppliers Amid COVID-19 - NAA provides insight for rental housing industry suppliers amid COVID-19. Guidance is presented by Kirk Downey, Chairman of the NAA National Suppliers Council (NSC) and COO of Liberty Rent. Released 3/25/2020
- My Resident Tested Positive for COVID-19, Now What? - NAA offers operational insight for how to handle a resident testing positive for COVID-19 . Guidance is presented by Ayiesha Beverly, NAA Senior Staff Attorney, National Lease Program. Released 3/24/2020
- How to Respond to Media - NAA offers guidance for crisis communications and handling media inquiries during the spread of COVID-19. Guidance is presented by Todd Usher, NAA Manager of Public Relations. Released 3/23/2020
- How to Handle Maintenance During COVID-19 - NAA provides insight into how to handle maintenance during the spread of COVID-19. Guidance is presented by Paul Rhodes, NAA National Safety and Maintenance Instructor. Released 3/20/2020
- Legislative and Regulatory Updates - NAA provides a property management-focused legislative and regulatory update in light of the spread of COVID-19. Guidance is presented by Nicole Upano, NAA Director of Public Policy. Released 3/19/2020
- Teleworking Amid COVID-19 - NAA shares guidance that will be helpful as organizations transition from normal business operations to working remotely. Guidance is presented by Nancy Carbone, NAA Senior Vice President, Human Resources & Administration. Released 3/18/2020
- Empathetic Communications - In this session, we'll review how to apply empathy in your communications to residents and within the workplace, and how companies can support those efforts and reflect a culture of empathy through their communications. Thursday, April 23 at 3 p.m. EDT
- A New World: Guiding Through Change - Change is challenging, and affects people differently. NAA looks at actions leaders should take to better manage the process of change. Presented by Donje Putnam, Director of Marketing and Compliance for Signature Management Corp. Length: 16 minutes. Released April 20, 2020.
- Sharing Your Humanity in a Socially Distant World - NAA examines how to overcome the hurdles created by the need for social distancing to slow the spread of COVID-19. Presented by Steve Wunch, National Speaker and Account Executive for KNOCK. Length: 14 minutes. Released April 9, 2020.
- Three Tips for Emotional Resilience - NAA offers 3 tips for leveraging emotional resilience to overcome adversity. Presented by Amy Kosnikowski Dilisio, National Speaker, Indusry Educator and Consultant. Length: 21 minutes. Released April 7, 2020.
- Being Heard Above the Noise: Continuous Communication With Employees - NAA looks at how constant employee contact is critical during COVID-19. Presented by Mary Gywn, Chief Innovator, Apartment Dynamics. Length: 14 minutes. Released April 6, 2020.
- Maintaining Healthy Relationships During Stressful Times - An in-depth presentation of how to keep relationships healthy amid the stresses of COVID-19. Presented by Rommel Anacan, President of The Relationship Difference. Length: 12 minutes. Released April 1, 2020.
- The Importance of Continued Training - A closer examination of why continuing training is important during COVID-19. Guidance is presented by Joy Zalaznick, Director of Training and Development for Kettler. Length: 14 minutes. Released March 30, 2020.
- Teleworking Amid COVID-19 - NAA shares guidance that will be helpful as organizations transition from normal business operations to working remotely. Guidance is presented by Nancy Carbone, NAA Senior Vice President, Human Resources & Administration. Length: 6 minutes. Released March 18, 2020.
- Coronavirus Outbreak: What Employers Should Know - NAA is releasing a series of in-depth webinars to provide guidance to the apartment industry for addressing the spread of COVID-19. Length: 1 hour. Released March 26, 2020.
Managing Properties in the Age of Coronavirus
Bisnow hosted a webinar with NAA and IREM experts and members Barry Blanton, CPM® and Pat Hutchison, CPM®. The webinar covers strategic planning for property owners and managers, specifically looking at:
- Continuity of business planning
- Reviewing lease agreements in case of business disruptions
- Creating healthy and hygienic work and living environments
- Strategies for resident and tenant communications
Coronavirus Outbreak: What Real Estate Managers Need to Know
NAA and the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) hosted managers from both rental housing and commercial management for a live panel discussion on addressing the spread of COVID-19 and developing policies and procedures around the coronavirus.
NAA Coronavirus Weekly Webinar: What Employers Should Know
NAA is releasing a series of in-depth, weekly webinars to provide guidance to the apartment industry for addressing the spread of COVID-19. The webinar below was released the week ending March 27, 2020
Resources for Resident Exposure
- Best Practices for Resident Exposure to COVID-19
Resources for Property Managers
- Best Practices for Operations
- 10 Ways to Keep Residents Engaged During COVID-19
- Emergency Document for Essential Personnel
- Sample - Maintenance Emergencies Defined
- Awareness Acknowledgement Letter
Resources for Teleworking
- Best Practices for Teleworking Amidst COVID-19
- Best Practices for Flex Scheduling
- Collaboration Tools for Working Remotely
- Communication Tools for Working Remotely
- Sample - Telework Agreement
Federal, State and Local Legal and Regulatory Updates
- Learn more on the COVID-19 Related Policy Concerns page.
- FHFA Offers Mortgage Relief for Multifamily Property Owners
- Forms for Payment Plan Agreement and Notice of Temporary Waiver of Late Fees
- The Latest Court Closures and Restrictions
- NAA/NMHC Letter to U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) - March 22 - NAA and NHMC urge CISA to update "Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers" guidance document to confirm the rental housing industry, to include construction, operation and management of housing, are deemed "essential infrastructure" by the federal government.
Bi-weekly updates on economic data releases, forecasts and impacts of the coronavirus on the national economy.
- March 26, 2020 Economic Impact Report
- March 23, 2020 Economic Impact Report
- March 19, 2020 Economic Impact Report
NAA recommends that incoming media requests be directed to CDC and/or local health officials, who are better qualified to answer their questions at this time. You don’t want to be at risk with liability concerns.
Ensure your office has proper contact information of the local health authority and/or the best CDC resources on hand for handling queries from local stakeholders.
NAA recommends a holding statement be developed. An example: "We appreciate your call. It is wise for everyone to remain current and follow the most recent guidance provided by health officials. That is why we request that you direct your question to [Local Health Official] or the CDC, who are on top of this situation."
Other Key Messages to Consider
NAA recommends that guidance from CDC and other officials be treated seriously. At present, CDC prevention information includes:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds. If soap and water are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue away.
- Frequently clean and disinfect touched objects and surfaces.
NAA encourages all members and affiliates to monitor the situation and stay current with advice from CDC and public health officials.
- March 30 - Forbes - With Rent Soon Due, Apartment Industry Already Copes With Coronavirus Effects
- March 26 - Multi-Housing News - How to Handle Coronavirus-Related Rent Issues
- March 25 - Washington Post - Slowing the spread of the novel coronavirus in an apartment community
- March 20 - Fox Business - How coronavirus disruption could impact multifamily landlords, lenders
- March 20 - KALB-TV (NBC affiliate, Alexandria, La.) - Prevent the spread of COVID-19 at apartments
- March 18 - New York Times - Racing to head off evictions and foreclosures
- March 17 - Forbes - National Apartment Association Issues Guidance To Stem The Spread Of Coronavirus
- March 13 - CNN - What to do if there's a coronavirus case in your neighborhood or apartment building
Downloadable Resources From CDC and EPA
- What you need to know about Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Stop the Spread of Germs
- Symptoms of Coronavirus Disease 2019
- What to do if you are sick with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- EPA's Registered Antimicrobial Products for Use Against Novel Coronavirus
Communications from HUD
- A Video Message from Secretary Carson Regarding HUD.GOV Resources [transcript]
- Message from the Secretary
- Message from Community Planning and Development
- Message from Public and Indian Housing
- Community Planning Development's Toolkit for Homeless Shelters and Continuum of Care Providers
- Updated March 17: Questions and Answers for Office of Multifamily Housing Stakeholders
Click here for Small Business Resources during COVID-19
Additional Recommended Resources: (Added 4/2/2020)
- Summary of the Eviction Moratorium (appears to apply to all LIHTC properties) https://www.nhlp.org/wp-content/uploads/2020.03.27-NHLP-CARES-Act-Eviction-Moratorium-Summary.pdf
- Communicating with residents about rent payments: https://www.nmhc.org/research-insight/analysis-and-guidance/emergency-preparedness/communicating-with-residents-rent/
- Up-to-date blog including anticipating reduced rent receipts, forbearance and eviction moratorium: https://www.novoco.com/notes-from-novogradac
- General information on mortgage forbearance under the CARE act: https://ajjcs.net/paper/main/2020/03/28/cares-act-impact-on-multifamily-housing-operators/
- National Council of State Housing Agencies (NCSHA) that provides direction and updates from Federal agencies including HUD and Rural Development : https://www.ncsha.org/covid-19/
- Nixon Peabody law firm has provided useful guidance on proactive COVID management for multifamily housing (there are a few updates of this article): https://www.nixonpeabody.com/en/ideas/articles/2020/03/16/covid-19-guidance-for-multifamily-property-owners
- CDC guidance for resident communities: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/retirement/index.html