Fair Housing & Beyond
This course offers 4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from the NM Real Estate Commission!
"Fair Housing and Beyond" is appropriate for IREM Members, NAA Members, AANM Members, GAAR Members, and others in the housing management industry, including:
- Management company executives
- Property and site managers
- Leasing professionals
- Maintenance technicians
- Office administration staff
- Rental property owners
- Non-profit housing providers
About The Seminar
If you've taken this course in the past, review the new information as there are NEW SCENARIOS in this course.
This exciting 4-hour seminar:
- Uses video-delivered scenarios to demonstrate how real-life situations require critical thinking and prudent decision making
- Vividly shows the serious consequences of incorrect responses and provides coaching on how to avoid costly mistakes
- Delivers relevant knowledge of fair housing essentials - practical explanations of how federal, state, and local protected classes and barred discriminatory acts impact property management
Course learning objectives include:
- Identify the need for fair housing education of the property owner(s), staff, and the vendors contracted to the property
- Describe the federal protected classes
- Identify the state or local government protections that may exceed the federal protections
- Explain how fair housing rights extend to all residents and guests of the lease signatories
- Recognize the difference in discrimination between treatment and impact
- Identify excuses and justifications for discriminatory practices in order to remove them
- Describe the statutes that govern protections from discrimination against disability
- Identify the importance of demonstrating sensitivity to disability
- Identify the range of "reasonability" in the definition of "reasonable" accommodations and modifications
- Discuss issues of the disability protection that extend to other physical and mental health challenges that impact your business
- Discuss issues involving maintenance staff and third-party vendors
- Analyze communications protocols and the role they play in fair housing
- Determine issues in handling resident complaints
- Identify documentation as the best defense against fair housing complaints, and set those guidelines in light of the statute of limitations requirement
- Identify the impact of fair housing laws on resident selectio
- Identify fair housing advertising guidelines
The course includes a comprehensive participant workbook. This course was developed jointly by the industry leaders in multifamily management: National Apartment Association (NAA) and Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM).
(Workbook is included in course fees)
Guests/AANM Non-Members: $149*
Space is limited and this course sells out, so register today!
**NOTE: AANM's Board of Directors has adopted a cancellation policy effective July 16, 2010: A 30% cancellation fee will be applied for any cancellations received ten (10) calendar days or less prior to the seminar date. No shows are still due and payable. Guests do not qualify for charging privileges and must pre-pay prior to attending this seminar. Please contact AANM at 505.822.1114 to make payment arrangements.